Top recent TLPA achievements
- Treating Eurasian milfoil in conjunction with Three Lakes Association (TLA), and working with Tip of the Mitt Watershed Center to “map” shorelines around Torch Lake in need of protection and/or treatment. Restarting Eurasian milfoil scouting and treatment in conjunction with TLA.
- Legally negotiating a settlement with a developer to reduce a subdivision, protect wetlands, and move the septic systems further from the lake shoreline.
- Financially supporting the Kalkaska sheriff for Sand Bar policing over the Fourth of July, including funding porta-jons and trash bins.
Key accomplishments over the past 20 years
- Contributed money to Eurasian Milfoil eradication effort in Alden harbor
- Succeeded in opposing a high-density condo development close by Torch River and sensitive wetlands
- Contracted with the health department and Watershed Center to test Torch Lake waters for E.Coli near problematic streams flowing into Torch Lake
- Challenged in court an approved DNR permit for dredging for a water line in Torch Lake Township; final consent order by the court reduced dredging by 90 percent
- Contracted with Tip of the Mitt Watershed Center to provide a parcel map of all properties in the Torch Lake watershed as a first step in identifying prime properties in the watershed for possible protection